10 Tips on How to Deal With Anxiety
Dealing with anxiety can be a struggle, but there are ways to manage the symptoms. Some solutions are quick and effortless, while others require long-term commitment in order to truly solve a persistent issue.
1. Exercise: Physical activity helps to release stress hormones and relax you, aiding in sleep onset as well as quality.
2. Minimize or discontinue alcohol, nicotine and caffeine: These substances can contribute to stress and worsen anxiety symptoms.
3. Engage in meditation: This type of mindful practice helps train your brain to dismiss anxious thoughts.
4. Acquaint yourself with your stressor: Doing this allows for better management of it.
5. Speak to a healthcare professional: A mental health specialist, such as a psychologist, may be able to accurately diagnose and treat anxiety.
6. Create a Support Network: People experiencing anxiety often feel alone and don’t know how to take care of themselves. Seeking out support from family, friends and healthcare providers can be very beneficial in combatting this condition.
7. Take a Break: Deep breathing, walking or doing other relaxing activities can help relieve feelings of tension.
8. Shift Your Perspective: Don’t let fear rule your thoughts; try instead to focus on how you can prepare and make the experience positive. Instead of worrying about what could go awry, focus on what actions you can take in advance to reduce stress or prepare yourself for what comes your way.
9. Limit worrying to important matters: It can be easy to become consumed with worries about things that don’t matter, but these feelings can have detrimental effects.